Sunday, December 8, 2013

Grumpy VS Bad Attitude

        Look, I understand that having a bad attitude isn't desired in the work place or when you have to work together for a common goal but can there be a line drawn for grumpy people v.s. bad attitude.  Not all grumpy people have bad attitudes.  Most are good people that are capable of functioning in society just not at the "speed of nice" as others.
        My "speed of nice" might not be at your pace but give me some time, I can catch up.  Especially in the morning because I'm not the kind of person that talks at the same volume throughout the day.  From 630am to 830am I think we should only communicate by whispering.  Now, if you start with the afternoon voice and keep it all day, you probably think I have a bad attitude when I shh you and point at my watch that says it's only 645am.  If I had a bad attitude I would have said, "Hey, lower your voice dummy, not everybody is fully awake this early."  Then, I would have told people how much of a jerk you were for yelling so early, knowing you were just trying to be nice.  That's a bad attitude for you.
        The line of bad attitude and grumpiness is a thin one but I believe their is a line.  Grumpiness comes to us all.  Some people get grumpy if they haven't eaten, while others if they don't get their $10 coffee.  That doesn't mean they have a bad attitude.  Some people get grumpy because every day they contemplate, is my job even necessary before the sun comes up.  All grumps are judged by people that say that person is not a team player or say that person is always in a bad mood.
        Grumpy people love their job but sometimes not the people they work with.  It's not a bad thing.  Some people can't stand their own family.  Doesn't mean they hate being apart of the family.  Some people don't realize that if they weren't family, there wouldn't be a reason for them to share a meal or even know each other.  Again I understand the need to get along in order to have a healthy work environment but some understanding on Mr. or Ms. "Let's give money to our Boss on Boss's Day" part is necessary.  Listen, I'm not going to pitch in.  That doesn't mean I have a bad attitude.  I'm just grumpy.  I can give a hand shake but that's about as far as somebody deserves for being a decent human-being to work under.  A grumpy person doesn't want to exchange gifts on Christmas at work only to have a $5 limit that, nobody stuck to, except him, be thrown in his face.  That doesn't mean they're a bad person.  A grumpy person doesn't want to participate in a potluck every week.  Lunch is a sacred time.  Lunch is the only time they have away from you so they don't get a bad attitude.
        Bad attitudes are poisons to the organization.  They participate in everything.  They sign up first and are the first person to talk bad on how poorly run the event is compared to how they would have ran it.  Bad attitudes ruin things like potlucks by having crappy food and making everybody try it, with guilt.  The bad attitudes make it a point on boss's day to bring up how small the raise was last year and how they aren't signing there name in the card because the boss sucks. 
        Bad attitudes sour grumpy people's good name.  Please don't emotionally profile grumpy people and lump them into "that guy should just quit because he doesn't fit in here" category.  Please don't emotionally discriminate.  Next time you think someone has a bad attitude, take a step back and ask yourself, "am I too loud in the morning from 630am to 830am.

www.GAcomic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment